i am initiating work on delivering an embedded variant of gnowsys 
which i intend to complete by december 2016.
for the same, i will be re-writing the entire gnowsys stack such that
it is geared towards a proper decentralized control model instead of
the existing centralized one .
the completed project would be targeted to be run on low cost compute
systems like the raspberry pi to afford wider adoption by virtue of
them being more economically viable than real servers or even desktops.
given all of the above, and the fact that i have very little knowledge
about hardware level stuff, i request information about;
1. ways in which r-pi based system be wirelessly networked without
human intervention, something like creating mesh networks which
can auto-discover other nodes using zeroconf.
2. a feasible approach to deploying such nodes in regions with bad
electrical and network infrastructure.
also, i need a custom designed linux based distribution with the
1. minimal disk footprint (within 8mb),
2. low memory usage (within 4mb),
3. low electrical power consumption,
4. high security (am quite fascinated by the 'olpc' model).
this is targeted to be free software, both, as in speech and beer.
collaborators interested in working on the above are most welcome to
contact me, either on the list or off it.