This is V. M. Kumaraswamy from eGovINDIA Group.
Mr. C. Umashankar, IAS recently has taken over as MD of ELCOT, in Chennai. ELCOT is
promoting Open Source Software. It would be nice to invite him for the coming GPL
conference. He will add value to the GPL conference.
His email address is umashankarc(a)gmail.com
Here is an email copy written by Mr. C. Umashankar to eGovINDIA Members.
ELCOT commences OSS training to its employees
On 15-6-06, ELCOT commenced its OSS training activites, starting with its own employees.
All the officer level employees numbering over 25 took part in the training on 15th June.
Their laptops were converted into OSS (Open Suse 10.0) a day earlier. The MD took up the
teacher's role. Whatever the MD showed on LCD projector was tried by the trainees on
The following inputs were given in the first phase:
1. Logging in
2. Creating new user
3. How to disable automatic log on for users other than the root users.
4. How to enable password less log on for users other than root users.
5. Browsing the hard disk
6. Browsing the DVD/removable media.
7. How to configure (customise) the auto mount for removable media.
8. How to change the desktop environment.
9. How to configure the display using Control Centre /YAST
10. How to configure network device - wireless and ethernet network using YAST. (Wireless
network was configured and shown during the training. Internet connectivity through
wireless LAN was demonstrated).
12. How to operate the control centre using root privilege (YAST)
13. How to use terminal window to quickly ascertain network IP address configuration and
to use ping commands.
14. Using Xine - DVD/Movie player.
15. Open office. org - OO Writer - The whole OO writer suite was explained and compared
16. Open office.Calc - compared with Msexcel - upto chart creation was explained.
17. Open office.impress - compared with MS power point presentation.
18. How to hibernate a laptop using the suspend keys.
The officers were now given an option either to use the existing MS operating system or
switch over to Open suse 10.0.
The next session is for the rest of the employees. Their desktop machines are getting
converted to Redhat and Open suse.
Redhat has come forward to assist the migration. As of now, ELCOT's system
adminstrator himself does the migration cum training the employees on linux installation
C.Umashankar IAS., (TamilNadu Cadre)
& Managing Director, Electronic Corporation of TamilNadu (ELCOT)
Mankind deserves open standards and open source software. Only the chosen ones get its
taste. Others just hear the taste.
V. M. Kumaraswamy, MBA
This is Mr. V. M. Kumaraswamy, MBA.
About eGovINDIA and it's activties
"Nagarjuna G." <nagarjun(a)gnowledge.org> wrote:
On Sun, Jun 18, 2006 at 07:43:41PM +0530, ????????????????????? ??? (Praveen A) wrote:
2006/6/18, Krishna Pagadala :
I have not seen any more news about gpl conference in Bangalore. How are
the preparations proceeding?
Preparations are going nice. Look for more info at
we haven't officially announced yet since we haven't finalized the
logistics with IIM Bangalore. Today we met them, and with in a week
we will get clearance of the program etc and then the official
announcement will be done.
Fsf-friends mailing list
Want to be your own boss? Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.